Nokia Arena in Tampere, Finland, scooped the Project of the Year Award at TheStadiumBusiness Design & Development Awards 2022 on Tuesday evening at Emirates Old Trafford in Manchester.
The state-of-the-art 15,000-capacity venue, which opened in December 2021, triumphed at the end of an engaging first day of panel sessions, discussions and networking at TheStadiumBusiness Design & Development Summit 2022.
With a total of 19 judges from across the industry involved in the awards, other winners included Populous in the Industry Partner category and KOJO Sport’s mixed-reality experience at Optus Stadium in Perth in the AV / Fan Experience category.
The Community Project Award was handed to RBL Free Fit Area at RB Leipzig’s Red Bull Arena, while the Guinness World Record solar roof at Galatasaray’s Nef Stadium in Istanbul scooped the Innovation Award. PHX Reimagined: Modernisation of Footprint Center (Phoenix Suns/HOK) won the Interior and Fit-Out Award.
The Outstanding Achievement Award, for which there is no shortlist, was given to Matthew Birchall, Partner & Global Sports & Entertainment Lead, Buro Happold.
Ian Nuttall, Founder, TheStadiumBusiness said: “The Awards are about celebrating the professionals involved in the delivery of the next generation of stadia. Congratulations to everyone who reached the podium. Winners included our industry’s leaders, achievers and stand-out venues, who should all be very proud of their achievements.”
A full breakdown of the Awards is as follows:
JUDGING PANEL 2022
- Nick Addison, Chief Executive Officer, Adelaide Oval SMA
- Stephanie Bax, MD of European Operations, CAA ICON
- Alain Belsoeur, Head of Stadia Committee, Ligue de Football Professionnel (LFP)
- Peter Bryan, Partner, TMG Partners
- Donna Davidson, Global Project Development Director, BRC Imagination Arts
- Susan Fink, Senior Vice President, Sodexo Live!
- Daniel Gidney, Chief Executive, Lancs Cricket
- David Keirle, Chairman, KSS
- Kirsten Lees, Managing Partner, Grimshaw Global
- Suzanne Mackrell, Associate Director, Keppie Design
- William Mannarelli, Independent Consultant, Dipl. -Ing. Architekt
- Henk Markerink, Former CEO of the Amsterdam ArenA
- Patrik Meyer, CEO, Deutsche Bank Park
- Ian Nuttall, Founder, TheStadiumBusiness
- Andy O’Sullivan, Venue Director, Tottenham Hotspur FC
- Rita Ochoa, Senior Associate Architect O.A, AFL Architects
- Uma Srivastava, COO, KultureCity
- Ben Veenbrink, Managing Director, The Stadium Consultancy BV
- Roy Westwood, Founder/CEO, Forward Associates
THE 2022 WINNERS
The Winners and Shortlisted Nominees in each category are as follows:
INDUSTRY PARTNER AWARD
Awarded to the architect, design firm, engineer, or consultant that has provided consistently outstanding service to stadium design and delivery.
Category Winner: Populous
- BDP Pattern
- Buro Happold
- Schlaich Bergermann Partner
AV / FAN EXPERIENCE AWARD
Recognising the best use of integrated audio, video, display, digital sensor and/or control technology within or around a venue to engage fans and enhance their experience of an event or attraction.
Category Winner: Mixed-reality experience at Optus Stadium, Perth (KOJO Sport)
- Tech upgrades at Rogers Centre, Toronto (Anthony James Partnerships)
- Scoreboard installation at Plymouth Argyle’s Home Park (Bendac LED)
- Upgrade of centrehung scoreboard at TD Garden, Boston (Daktronics)
- Video screen development at Accor Stadium
COMMUNITY PROJECT AWARD
Recognising the design and delivery of a community-focused sports venue project or major capital enhancement.
Category Winner: RBL Free Fit Area at Red Bull Arena (RB Leipzig)
- Community Stadium at Sheffield Olympic Legacy Park (Legacy Park Ltd/ Scarborough Group)
- Etihad Stadium sensory room upgrade (Manchester City FC/Puma)
- Multi-purpose sensory rooms at Wembley Stadium (The FA/Experia)
- SFU Stadium at Terry Fox Field (Perkins&Will)
- Tech Port Center + Arena (Port San Antoinio/ASM Global/Savor)
Awarded to the organisation that has demonstrated genuine, industry changing innovation. Consideration is given to step change improvements in the following areas: Sustainability; Materials Utilisation; Ease of Application; Speed of Construction; or Cost Savings.
Category Winner: Guinness World Record solar roof at Nef Stadium, Istanbul (Galatasaray)
- Installation of Allianz Stadium roof, Sydney (NSW Govt/Aurecon /John Holland)
- Estadio Mas Monumental project delivery, Buenos Aires (Club Atletico River Plate)
- Digital delivery for flexibility at Nokia Arena, Tampere
- SC Freiburg’s roof-mounted solar power modules, Germany
- Walk-Off Market integration at T-Mobile Park (Mariners/Sodexo Live!)
INTERIOR & FIT-OUT AWARD
Recognising the interior, hospitality, fan zone, concourse or makeover project that sets a new industry standard for interior design and fit-out in major sports venues.
Category Winner: PHX Reimagined: Modernisation of Footprint Center (Phoenix Suns/HOK)
- MLS Debut renovations at Bank of America Stadium (Charlotte FC)
- Avenell Club: Transforming exec boxes for Arsenal FC (20.20/Portview)
- KPMG Ignition – DC at Capital One Arena (Monumental Sports)
- Newbury Racecourse hospitality spaces (Levy UK+Ireland)
- South Stand concourse redesign at Etihad Stadium (Manchester City FC)
PROJECT OF THE YEAR AWARD
For a completed new-build – or expansion, modernisation or major capital enhancement project of an existing venue – that has delivered on all its goals and more.
Category Winner: Nokia Arena, Finland
- Alexander Stadium, UK
- Allianz Stadium, Australia
- Etihad Arena, UAE
- Footprint Center, USA
- Geodis Park, USA
- Lusail Stadium, Qatar
OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
There is no shortlist for this Award which is presented by TheStadiumBusiness.com to an individual, team or organisation which has ‘moved the needle’ for our industry.
Category Winner: Matthew Birchall, Partner & Global Sports & Entertainment Lead, Buro Happold